Saturday, April 09, 2005

emergent vern

I’ve been spending time on various blogs that are run by people in the emergent church. I’ve really enjoyed Karen Haluza’s blog Raw Faith and have recently been spending time on Willzhead. Will Samson and I will be getting together in the next week to talk about funding virtually unfundable Christian services, something I’ve been working on for two years and something that I believe Will and his family are jumping into with both feet (my perception).

I’ve also spent some time on Lessons Learned and Laborings Lost as well as screaming through the masses.

I spend time talking to people I really don’t agree with, as they stretch me, although I always try to be a positive part of the conversation. I stay away from “mental masturbation” of irreconcilable difference, as I just don’t want to waste time. I pick blogs where those that are in the discussion are polite, but above all, bright. (my desire is to talk to people smarter than myself, which isn’t all that hard to accomplish). Lessons Learned and Laborings Lost as well as kidpositive fit this description, as does Willzhead and Raw Faith.

For some reason, I have offended Lessons Learned and Laborings Lost to the point that they’ve turned off comments to all but those recognized in their group. Kidpostive isn’t saying much either. Neither of these blogs are run by people who care to identify themselves from what I can see, and have no contact info to clarify anything offline (unless it's my ignorance of where to look).

To both of these communities, I apologize… it was not my intention to offend you.

-vern-

4 Comments:

Blogger kidpositive said...

hi vern,

no offense taken. i will say, however, that i've noticed a trend in your comments where you start off on a point that i can really gel with, or at least understand, and then veer off into a multitude of tangents which are often only indicated by one-liner thoughts. as often as you comment, i think it can create the effect of steering the conversation away from the original intentions of the post, mainly because it's sort of like an information dump that leaves others with no idea what to do. just my perspective. looking forward to more conversation...

8:47 PM  
Blogger Vern Hyndman said...

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to work on that.

I've spent years developing pointed communication... I mean laser guided... and I found that I really offended blogsphere, so I have attempted to develop a more conversational tone, less about six bullet points and more about conversation. This is a metamorphosis not complete, as you readily point out.

Another thought... life experience has taught me to look closely at the presuppositions of a comment before I evaluate the content of the comment, so often I am commenting on the presupposition and not the intended gist of the original post... while this process can be useful in some arenas, it well may be that it irritates the heck out of some.

Thanks for graciously allowing me into your conversation.

BTW, I looked at some of the work that you at MIT are doing… looks like some really cool stuff. Some of the real time DSP stuff I was doing in the biomedical arena had use in sound. It’d be interesting to see what technology has made possible. Back then we were using the Internet before browsers had been invented…(18 years ago). I was using adaptive convolution and 3D spectral analysis, all coded in Basic and assembly.

We also had to walk back and forth to work barefoot in the snow, uphill both directions. ;-)

1:15 AM  
Blogger kidpositive said...

vern,

i started reading this book recommended to me last night. "finding darwin's god" by kenneth miller, a cell biologist at brown university. he believes in evolution, but also in God. i think you'd enjoy it.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Vern Hyndman said...

I really need to get that. I commented back on your comment earlier.

Any more of this reading and I'll lose my "absolute ignorance" standing.

Thanks!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home