Saturday, April 16, 2005

as the flock, we have no flocking concept

We are supposed to be the flock the Jesus talks about. John 13:35 "Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.".

And yet we have years of division and strife. We have fractured community. Some spend more time attracting other Christians to church from existing church relationships than attracting those in serious need. We are more adept at apologetics than we are at meeting needs and being community. Many of us know the arguments regarding our chosen version of salvation theory better than we know how the addiction process works in our own lives. We have to form small groups and have an agenda before we'll hang out with each other.

What went wrong???!! Where did we divert so far from the Gospel? When did Jesus become an American caucasian, stuck in first century middle east? When did we start looking at verses versus looking at context? When did the Bible become an indexed reference book rather than a collection of stories to introduce God? How many times did Jesus toss a verse to someone compared to the number of times He related a story to them?

I've been exploring the emergent church, and have some hope that the paradigm of contention might be over… the we all believe that Truth exists, but that our experience and background changes how we see the Truth, and that our Truth is truth trying to be Truth. I see real hope, and I see more love than I've ever seen.

Few people can be argued into real relationship, but many are attracted by acceptance and love. I've yet to meet anyone comdemned into right relationship with God... maybe that's why Jesus was so hard on those who condemn.

Like the AAers say, "attraction, not promotion."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,

You have done it again. great word.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey brother. Just checking out another thread of your life that I haven't explored but came across as I was looking over my "favorites" on my computer this afternoon. God's grace is amazing, and how interesting it is to see how He's working in and through you in the world of "blog." :o) Have a fabulous day and I pray blessings on you. Hope Canada was all you needed it to be. - Brad

2:51 PM  
Blogger Randy Buist said...

Vern,

Thanks for your thoughtful comment over at out blogs (water's edge & the dive) over the past days.

As for the emerging church, welcome to the conversation, and we hope you know God's goodness and grace through our lives.

randy

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should go with the college degree advice above! (weirdness...)

Very nice post. Addiction isn't something I understand or have thought much about, but I'm learning, thanks to people like you.

-Mika

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, look at this, it's been more than a year since this was posted, have ye any answers to these questions mate?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Vern Hyndman said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Vern Hyndman said...

Aye... and so it has.

I'm not sure of the college degree... while my academic credentialing sucks, I have been teaching college in the past few years. I'm thinking that the college he's flogging might not be Ivy League.

I've started spewing forth new verbiage. We'll see where it goes.

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home